Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Ch.7-Afterward

The part that stood out to be the most was the ending when they finally talked about The Germ Theory of diseases. As the book put it, "nothing in medicine was altered more dramatically in the last four decades following the civil war than the understanding of infectious disease". I think this really is the start of medicine. In the book, it showed basic understanding and treatments for diseases that had been around for years, but the cause was not as clear. Now that the cause is found, I assume this is the start of the better antibiotics that are about to arise over the next decades. This ending really sets the mark for where to other books may go, because medicine is a big part of health care and now that the causes of many diseases are know discovered, it makes medicine as advanced as it is today. This theory also helps in trying to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. After reading the book, I will hope I will enjoy the next few books more. This book is set into a far back period in history that really didn't spark my interest because I do not have much interest in wars, but it was a good way to lay out the simple foundation and beginnings of health care systems. I hope the next few books get more modern and more exciting and something that really catches my attention and that will give me a better understanding of health care systems as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment