Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Technology in the Hospital: 6-end

Before reading this book, I had no idea what blood counting was. If I had to take a guess about what it was before reading the book, I would have guessed it was counting blood cells, and I was right. But the method I thought was wrong. I didn't realize that in the early 1800s, physicians looked under the microscope and literally counted each cell. That was in no way practical and probably was a huge pain. The next method was using a grid in the microscope and just counting through that. That did not seem very easy or enjoyable either. As I kept reading, I wondered: What was even the point of counting and examining the blood cells. I learned that first off it could distinguish between red and white blood cells. As technology advanced, the red blood cell count could be related to types of disease. That was a good advancement in technology and methods, especially since taking blood from a sick or hurt patient became more and more common. This method opened up a wider possibility of other methods that can be used to examine the blood and determine other factors that related to the blood count as technology increased even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment